In English Canada, the term "college" is usually used to refer to technical schools that offer specialized professional or vocational education in specific employment fields. They include colleges of applied arts and technology, colleges of applied sciences, etc.
In Ontario and Alberta, and formerly in British Columbia, there are also institutions which are designated university colleges, as they only grant under-graduate degrees. This is to differentiate between universities, which have both under-graduate and graduate programs and those that do not. There is a distinction between "college" and "university" in Canada. In conversation, one specifically would say either "They are going to university" (i.e., studying for a three- or four-year degree at a university) or "They are going to college" (suggesting a technical or career college).
From the 2001 census, College had a population of 3,517 of which nearly 79% classed themselves as Christian.
College ward is an ‘L’ shaped ward in the northern suburban fringes of the city of Preston. It has the B6242 Watling Street Road in its southern base bordering Moor Park. This is the traditional border between the former separate Preston and Fulwood districts. The A6 Garstang Road is its western border, whilst to the east and north are suburban and private housing.
The village was originally known as Hammond's Mills, and was part of Frederick Philipse's estate Philipsburgh. On September 23, 1780, Major John André stopped here on his way to New York to ask directions after meeting with Benedict Arnold.
After the Revolutionary War, the name of the village changed to Unionville. The hamlet's population consisted mostly of farmers. The Reformed Church of Unionville (Hawthorne Reformed Church) was built here in 1818. In 1832, a one-room school house was built. In 1847, a railroad station was established on New York Central's Harlem Division, with the name Unionville. A post office was established on February 10, 1851, and was designated Neperan after the Indian name for the Saw Mill River.
In the early 1890s, real-estate developer Louis Smadbeck began buying up the area farms to subdivide into parcels, which were sold to working- and middle-class people looking to live outside the city.
The station is situated on a plot of land that is not connected to any main road in Hawthorne. The station's parking lot, ticket machines, and southbound platform are located off of Washington Avenue, while the northbound platform is located off of Vincent Place. A grade crossing on the tracks allows passengers to cross from one platform to the other.
Hawthorne Station is to be one of two terminus points on the proposed Passaic-Bergen Rail Line, a light-rail system that will run from Hawthorne through Paterson, Elmwood Park, and Hackensack.